The decision to remodel your home is an important one—and so is selecting the right contractor to do the work. Following are some suggestions questions that can help you find the contractor who is best suited for you and your project:
Questions to ask during the initial phone consultation:
- Do you have an office location? If yes, what is that address?
- Are you properly licensed in this state? Be sure to verify their license number.
- Will you pull all necessary permits?
- Do you carry general liability and worker’s compensation insurance?
- Do you offer a written warranty on all workmanship?
- Can you give me homeowner and supplier references?
- Will you provide me with a written contract that guarantees price, clearly spells out exactly what you will do, identifies what your price includes and excludes and defines a payment schedule?
Questions to ask during the in-person meeting:
- Are you a remodel specialist?
- What percentage of your business is repeat or referral based?
- How many projects like mine have you completed in the last year or two?
- How long is your warranty?
- Do you offer a fixed-price contract?
- How many years have you been in the remodeling business?
- What is your process of managing jobs?
- How often will you be at my job site?
- Who will be in charge of my job? May I meet this person?
- How is daily communication handled?
- Do you offer homeowners any wholesale discounts on materials?
- Are you part of a design-build team and how could that benefit my project?
- Are professional interior design and architectural design services available for my job?
Once the prospective contractors have answered all your questions, we strongly recommend that you contact some of their past clients to find out what the experience of working with them was like.